Moments With Mercy - Interview With Sarah Sundin

Hey y'all,
It's so good to be back to share another interview! Personally I'm really excited this one.  Sarah Sundin is one of, if not my favorite author and I was thrilled when she agreed to an interview!  So without further ado let's get started.

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
"My husband and I live in northern California. We have three grown children, and are still adjusting to the empty nest after our youngest joined the Navy this summer. We also have a crazy yellow lab and a cat who shifted from antisocial to clingy after the kids left! When Tides Turn is my ninth published novel. In addition to writing, I work one day a week as a hospital pharmacist and teach Sunday school and women’s Bible studies."

2. When did you get saved?
"When I was ten years old at a concert by the high schooler choir at a local church—not the one I’d been attending, ironically. Those kids glowed with the love of Jesus, and suddenly I understood what those Sunday school teachers had been saying about “asking Jesus into your heart,” and I wanted what they had. My younger sister accepted Christ that same day!"

3. What made you decide to become an author?
"Unlike most authors, I didn’t grow up wanting to be a writer, other than minor flirtations with the concept. I studied chemistry in college and became a pharmacist. Then one morning in 2000, I woke up with a dream so compelling I knew it was a novel. And I simply had to write it. That novel will never be published, but it got me started."

4. What is your favorite series you've written?
"I have three series. I have three children. I play no favorites."

5. Can you tell us a little bit about your new book that just came out?
"When Quintessa Beaumont learns the US Navy has established the WAVES program for women, she enlists, eager to throw off her frivolous ways and contribute to the war effort. Lt. Dan Avery employs his skills in antisubmarine warfare to fight U-boats at the peak of the Battle of the Atlantic, but the last thing he wants to see on his radar is fun-loving Tess. As Dan and Tess work together in Boston, the changes in Tess challenge his notions—and his heart."

6. What do you like to do in your free time?
"Um, “free time”? I’ve heard of such a thing…
Seriously, I read, I hike with my husband and dog, and I love to travel."

7. What is your favorite Bible verse and why?
"This changes constantly, but one that keeps recurring is Phil. 3:13-14: “This one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”

8. If you could witness one historical event, what would it be?
"The celebrations on V-E Day in London or V-J Day in the US. The joy and relief, tempered by sorrow, must have been extraordinary."

9. What is one of the funniest things you've found out while researching for a book?
"Here’s a quote I found in Samuel Eliot Morison’s classic naval history, The Battle of the Atlantic: September 1939-May 1943, while describing the U-boats’ devastating effects on shipping along the US East Coast in early 1942, which led to shortages of many crucial supplies, including, “coffee, cotton, sugar, oil, iron, steel and bauxite. These commodities, with the possible exception of coffee, are essential to a nation engaging in modern warfare; and, although the United States Navy might win a war without coffee, it hopes never to be forced to make the experiment.”

Sarah, Thank you so much for doing this! Readers, I hope you enjoyed. 
~Mercy









Comments

  1. Wonderful interview! I enjoy Sarah's stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, #4! Such a mom answer! To be fair, though, if I was a writer who poured my time and my heart into each novel, I'm not sure I could pick a favorite, either!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Paul Greene!

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Andrew Walker

Moments With Mercy - Interview with Jesse Hutch!