Moments With Mercy - Interview With Professor Stuart Burgess

Hey everybody,
I am so excited to share this interview with y'all!  I first heard about Stuart Burgess last year when my family and I attended a Answers In Genesis Mega Conference where we were able to hear him speak.  We really enjoyed his talk and I am really excited to do this interview.  So, without further ado let me tell you a little bit about Stuart Burgess.

"Prof. Stuart Burgess, professor of engineering design at the University of Bristol (UK), excels in mechanical engineering, both in manmade devices and God’s design in nature. He has published many articles and books on his research."

And now for the interview.

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.

"I am a full professor of Engineering Design at Bristol University in the United Kingdom.I previously worked for the European Space Agency designing rockets and other spacecraft.I have also worked at Cambridge University in the UK which I think is the best university in the world."

2. Can you share your salvation testimony?
"I don't come from a Christian family but when I was at University in London I was invited to the Christian Union and I instantly was convicted that the Christian message was correct and that I needed saving from my sin. I was particularly struck by the love shown in the local brethren church. I come from a broken home so that meant a lot to me. I had no difficulty in believing God's word was correct from the very first verse. That was 33 years ago and I am so thankful for that first invitation!"

3. How did you get involved with Answers In Genesis?
"I was invited to speak at their conferences. I was very impressed with their passion and vision."

4. Why do you think the creation/evolution debate is so important?
"Genesis is foundational to the gospel and the family and so many other things. People think that evolution gives them an excuse to disbelieve in God or disbelieve in Genesis and that needs to be challenged."

5. What is one of your favorite evidences of design in creation?
 "It is hard to give one so let me give three. Human singing is very hard to explain from a naturalistic point of view. The beauty of a peacock feather is also a great evidence of design. The human knee joint is also a favorite because I have done a lot of research on it."

6. What do you like to do in your free time?
 "I love running. I am 53 but I can still win 5km races and I love to beat young men in their 20s - it makes me feel young!"

7. What is your favorite dessert?
 "I have to give three answers again: cheesecake, apple crumble and most importantly my wife's coconut cake."

8. What is your favorite Bible verse?
 "Job 37:14-16 Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God...who is perfect in knowledge.
Since God is perfect in knowledge it makes sense that I use creation as an inspiration for my design work."

9. What is the most unique thing you've ever designed?
 "I have to give two things: (1) I designed the deployment system for the world's largest civilian earth observation satellite called Envisat (2) I designed the transmission for the British Olympic Cycling team for the 2016 Rio Olympics which turned out to be the fastest bikes ever ridden in the Olympics, breaking several world records."

10. What would you say is the biggest cultural difference between the UK and the US?
 "Americans love to make a show and celebrate. I think that can be a good thing. For example when I do running races in the USA I always get more medals!"

Professor Burgess
, Thank you for doing this. Readers, I hope you enjoyed!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Paul Greene!

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Andrew Walker

Moments With Mercy - Interview with Jesse Hutch!