Moments With Mercy - Interview With Kavan Smith

Hey everybody, I'm so excited to share this interview with y'all!  Kavan Smith is currently acting on one of my favorite tv shows- When Calls The Heart.  With the WCTH Christmas special coming up, I thought it would be a lot of fun to interview Kavan. First let me tell you a little bit about him.

"Kavan was born in Edmonton, Alberta and both he and his brother were raised by his father when his parents divorced. He excelled in many sports as a child focusing on football and martial arts.

During his teenage years he cultivated a love for performing with a friend. They would often skip school to record and rehearse skits they would eventually take public on local buses and to shopping centers. After graduation Kavan attended the University of Calgary working towards a degree in Economics but dropped out after a year and half. After a year of contemplation he enrolled in the Mount Royal University performing arts program. It was here that he developed a love of books and started writing. Soon after graduating he landed a lead role on the Canadian television show Destiny Ridge and moved to Vancouver.Kavan has been continuously adding versatile film and television roles to his acting repertoire, since he discovered his passion for performance. In 1999 he caught Brian DePalma's eye and was cast in the sci-fi adventure Mission to Mars. Since then he has played key roles in FOX's Human Target, The CW's Smallville and Supernatural, SyFy's Outerlimits, Sanctuary and Battlestar Galactica and USA Network's Fairly Legal. Kavan has also had large recurring roles in USA Network's The 4400 as Jed Garrity, SyFy's Stargate Atlantis as Major Evan Lorne and SyFy's Eureka as Deputy Andy, a sweet but overly keen robot. Kavan also starred with Thandie Newton in DirectTV's crime drama Rogue."

And now for the interview.

1. What started your interest in acting?
My interest in acting was inspired largely by my ineptitude in most other areas.  I was kindly asked to leave University before I went under review and to come back when I'd figured out what it was I really wanted to do.  As a kid I had a best friend and we loved to skip school and work on little comedy skits and then take them out to malls and busses and anywhere we could hold some people hostage and entertain, or frighten depending on how it went.  Upon reflection after getting the boot from school I decided that was the one thing I really enjoyed and that I thought I might have some ability at.

2. What is your favorite tv show/movie you've acted in? Why?
My Favorite show is a toss up really.  Some shows have been rewarding artistically (though not so many sadly).  Some the crews have been really great.  Some shows have lead to long lasting friendships.  Some came when I really needed money.  It's really tough to single out a few.  But lets be optimistic shall we? And say that my favorite show is yet to come.

3. Who is the prankster on set?
The question of prankster comes up all the time.  What is the public's fascination with the idea of actors on set pranking the pants off one another?  I don't think I've ever pulled a prank or had a prank pulled on me.  I love to joke around.  In fact I'd say I insist on joking around.  Much to the chagrin of my fellow actors perhaps.  But sorry nothing really comes to mind.

4. Is there a certain character you have played that you really relate to? Why?
I recently played a chef on MOW and really enjoyed that.  I've been interested in cooking my whole life.  I was raised by my father and when I was finally old enough, cooking became the way I earned my allowance.  I picked things up along the way from all sorts of places.  Now a days being a foodie is very trendy but I've been doing it my whole life.  So I was so happy to actually play a chef for the first time.  It felt like a natural fit.

5. If you lived in the WCTH time period what is one thing you couldn't live without?
If I lived in the early 1900's the one thing I couldn't live without would be a time machine.

6. What drew you to When Calls The Heart?
I was drawn to the role of Lee in When Calls The Heart for several reasons.  I was told they wanted Lee to be a great Gatsby type.  Driving old motorcycles and cars and bringing the modern world to Hope Valley.  Sounded like fun to me.  I've also worked with all their Directors in the past and several of the cast like Lori and Pascale.

7. What do you like to do in your free time?
My free time is devoured by my two young kids.  I don't do much for myself these days.  Work and kid stuff.  But to be totally honest I wouldn't have it any other way.  I cook for them a lot.  So I get to do my thing while doing their thing.  When they grow up and move out I'm messed up.  My wife and I will have to redefine our lives.

8. What do you like most about When Calls The Heart?
That's easy.  The people.  Such a great group of people.  From the producers and directors to the crew and the cast.  I've made some life long friends I think.  Maybe if I start pulling some pranks that'll change.

9. What is your favorite Holiday tradition?
Favorite Holiday tradition is easy too.  I'm a sucker for Christmas.  Always have been.  There's the food.  I love everything about cooking around Christmas.  I make all the classics and every year I mix in a few new ideas and see what sticks.  But really our biggest tradition is heading out to this great old hotel in the Rocky Mountains.  We go every second year.  My wife and I were also married there at Christmas so it's our anniversary as well.  Two birds, one stone.  Kids love it.  We love it.  So unbelievably Christmasy it's hard to do it justice with words.  A winter wonderland.

And a word from Kavan - "Thanks for your interest and I hope you all enjoy the show as much as we enjoy making it."

Kavan, thank you so much for doing this!  Readers, I hope you enjoyed.
Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Paul Greene!

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Andrew Walker

Moments With Mercy - Interview with Jesse Hutch!