Interview With Eric Hovind!

Hey y'all,  I was able to do an interview with Eric Hovind! The interview has been planned for a little bit, but I actually got to meet Eric for the first time at the Answers Family Mega Conference we went to this year. 
First let me tell you a little bit about him.

"Eric Hovind grew up immersed in the world of apologetics and following college graduation in 1999, he began full-time ministry.  President and Founder of Pensacola-based organization, Creation Today, Eric’s passion to reach people with the life-changing message of the Gospel has driven him to speak in five foreign countries and all fifty states.  He lives in Pensacola, Florida with his wife Tanya and three children and remains excited about the tremendous opportunity to lead an apologetics ministry in the war against evolution and humanism.  Much like a 21st-century Apostle Paul on Mars Hill, in June of 2013, Eric stood on the first monument to atheism in America to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the atheist community.In 2011, Eric teamed up with Paul Taylor to begin The Creation Today Show.  More than 108 episodes are broadcasting on three continents equipping thousands to continue battling the anti-Christ, anti-Bible spirit that consumes today’s culture with the absolute truth of God’s Word, beginning in Genesis.Their website reaches 260 countries and passes the ultimate success test measured in transformed lives.  Under Eric’s leadership, creation materials are now translated into 42 languages and the Creation Todayteam is blessed to receive hundreds of testimonies each year from those whose lives have been impacted for eternity.  Many highlights from these testimony letters can be read on the website, www.creationtoday.org as Creation Today continues to bring in a record-number of letters from every inhabitable continent on the globe.Creation Today is also in the midst of producing the most ambitious project they have ever undertaken – Genesis 3D.  This project will depict the first three chapters of Genesis in full stereoscopic 3D animation, intertwining interviews with leading scientists.  Rivaling anything on Discovery or History Channel, the theatrical projected release of this film will impact the lives of millions.  Pioneering this work as just one of their many endeavors, Eric and the Creation Today team’s mission remains steadfast: impact the world to KNOW their creator—GOD and DEFEND their faith in Him!"

1. When did you get saved?
            "I was raised in a non-typical Christian home in that, unlike most “Christian” homes, my parents really lived out what they believed. My Dad was a principal in a Christian school, a Pastor of a church, and by the time I was in 6th grade had a full time itinerant ministry preaching in hundreds of churches each year. My Mom worked as a Church secretary, played the piano in Church and was a music teacher. My Dad was always quoting a verse of the Bible to help us in situations. Of course Proverbs came up a lot as he trained us to love God, love others, and work hard.

            I made a profession of faith in God at age nine after hearing an evangelist give a message on Hell. Scared, I went forward and was greeted by my Sunday School teacher. I remember hearing Mr. Roley tell me the story of a tightrope walker that walked across a tightrope over Niagara Falls while pushing a wheelbarrow. After he went from one side to the other he asked the people watching if they believed he was capable of pushing the wheelbarrow across the tightrope. Everyone cheered as they said, “we believe.” Then he asked if anyone trusted him enough to get into the wheelbarrow while he walked across a second time. No one volunteered. Moments of silence went by as people contemplated placing their lives in the hands of the tightrope walker.

            Finally a little boy stepped forward and said, “I trust you.” He proceeded to get into the wheelbarrow and allow the tightrope walker to push him across Niagara Falls. My Sunday school teacher said that salvation was like getting into the wheelbarrow and that we have to put our trust in what Jesus Christ did on the cross for salvation.

            Although I had courage to “walk forward” in a church service, I didn’t truly repent and turn to God for my only hope of salvation at that time. Nearly 12 years later in the year 2000, I watched a DVD that changed my life for eternity — Hell’s Best Kept Secret by Ray Comfort. The message of this video brought home the truth to my heart that I had merely become a product of my Christian environment. I had been sorry to my family, my friends, my co-workers, my teachers, my pastor, but I had never truly repentant to God for my sin. I was lost and destined for Hell.

            I recognized my need to move from a mental understanding that Jesus Christ could save me, to a total dependence upon Jesus Christ to save me. After watching Hell’s Best Kept Secret, four times in a row, God granted me that repentance. I fell on my face before a holy God; truly repented of trusting anything but Christ alone for salvation; and committed my life to God alone. Praise God, I became a new creature in Christ Jesus!"


2. Tell us a little bit about you and your family.
Eric and his family
            "I am married to the most beautiful woman in the world — Tanya. As of July 16, 2015, we have been married for sixteen years. Not only is Tanya an amazing woman, she is my best friend. She is my greatest asset in ministry always encouraging me forward, but also warning me to slow down when God leads her. We are blessed that God has given us three children.

            Stephanie, our oldest becomes a teenager this year. It is amazing to see the depth of her spiritual discernment. Her hard work in both academics and sports has earned her A-Honor-Role repeatedly, music awards and trophies, and the position of forward on her league soccer team.

            Angie is next in birth order. She makes everyone in our family smile and is a natural leader. She often speaks with the authority of a CEO, and that really wouldn’t surprise us if she turned out to be just that!            
            Jordan, our youngest is a brain and academics come easy for him. Like myself, he is a born sanguine! At one time in my life, I prayed for twin boys, but maybe the world couldn’t have handled two Jordan’s!"


3. How did you get started in Creation Science Ministry?
            "Born in Kankakee, Illinois, in 1978, I was blessed with the opportunity of growing up in a Christian home under the incredible Biblical teachings of my father. Living in the home of Creation Science Evangelist Dr. Kent Hovind was an education within itself. My dad taught me so much! He taught us about the practical side of life: how to fix things, make lists, and conserve our financial resources. Dad also taught us a ton of academics, even when we didn’t know we were learning. An avid teacher of the Holy Scriptures, Dad also taught us much from the Word of God.

            Throughout my junior high and high school years, every summer, I traveled with my dad to churches to speak about creation, evolution and dinosaurs. It was during my third summer of traveling with my father that I realized that I never grew tired of the subject! Hearing creation lectures and debates hundreds of times never became boring. As I listened to my dad teach, I, too, surrendered my entire life to serving God by delivering the salvation message."


4. What is something most people don't know about you?        
            "I love living life on-the-edge, and more often than I care to share, that has sent me to the emergency room. My first major ride to the ER followed my three-wheeler accident as a five-year old which ended with 36 stitches in my face. Yes, I was wearing a helmet; it just didn’t have a face mask. Hopefully, I am more careful and wise now that I have many responsibilities, but I still love riding anything open-air and sky diving is still on my bucket list!"


5. What is the funniest thing that has happened to you while on the road?
            "I remember attending a Creation Ministries International’s Super-Conference where I taught the conference speakers the scientific way to shoot rubber bands. It was both amazing and amusing to watch genius Dr. Jonathan Sarfati play around with the rubber bands as we shot them back and forth during other speaker’s sessions.☺

            After limited practice by the new army of rubber band shooters, one of the CMI team members sat down on a chair with a styrofoam cup on top of his head, daring one of us to shoot the cup off his head. My location was all the way across the room, but with plenty of practice, I was confident that I was up for the challenge!

            To everyone’s surprise, from about 30 feet away, taking careful aim I nailed the cup! The white container came toppling off the back of his head. It was then that I realized along with the rest of the audience, that it was full of coffee!!"


6. What is your favorite Bible verse?
            "My life verse is 2 Timothy 2:22“Flee also youthful lusts, but follow righteousness, faith, charity peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” The Bible gives us lots of examples, both good and bad in order for us to learn how to walk in the path of righteousness. I have studied people who had a bad start, but finished well. I have also studied people who began well, but finished bad. My prayer is to follow the Lord out of a pure heart and be faithful from the beginning until the end!"


7. Why do you think the creation/evolution issue is so important?
            "If people cannot trust Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning, God created the Heaven and the Earth,” then how can people trust John 3:16. During the past century, the evolution theory has successfully eroded the foundation of our faith — the authority of the Word of God. Really the issue is one of authority. Are we going to trust man’s opinion or God’s words? That is why the creation / evolution issue is so important."

8. Share one of your favorite memories with/about your dad.
            "Growing up with Dad was a total blast! Writing even just some of my favorite memories would fill a book!

            One such memory occurred at twelve years of age. Dad taught all of us to save for our first car and each of us had a savings account since age six for when we reached sixteen and needed our first vehicle.  Dad and I drove past a car that had weeds growing up all around it—a sure clue that it needed repairs and might be available cheap!

            Dad said, “Eric, you should buy that car, and we could fix it up together to make a profit for your car savings.” Sure enough, at age twelve, I bought my first car for $75, and we rebuilt the engine together. After all the repairs were completed, we had $300 and about three months of Dad’s after-work-time invested. 

            Dad let me test-drive the car around our yard! Oh, the thrill of that car actually moving! Parking the car in the yard after the successful test drive was inspiring. But even more inspiring was when an individual stopped by while we were still standing there, asking how much we wanted for the car. After checking it out, the interested man said, “I will give you $700 for it.”

            Dad and I looked at each other with big smiles and replied, “Sold!” What a boost to my car savings account that made!

Eric and I at the Conference
            Dad and I were always working on projects like that car and building things. Whether it was things as small as a bird house, or as big as a three-story building, I will always cherish these times we have had to build things together.

            And who doesn’t like a good debate? My dad is one of the best! I love attending his debates, watching him pummel the evil evolutionary worldview to shreds, unveiling for the crowd its fraud and deceit!"

9. What is your favorite "evidence" to support creation?
            "If you use just one of your five senses, you can know God exists! Creation itself is evidence for a Creator!

            When discussing evidence for a young earth, I think a human population chart is a fantastic tool for demonstrating that the earth cannot be more than about 6,000 years old. This well-documented, factual information clearly shows that man has not been here for millions of years, but rather only a few thousand years.

            Using our knowledge of human growth rates, today’s world population of just over seven billion traces back to about 4,400 years ago. This perfectly matches the Creationist Worldview that 4,400 years ago, there was a worldwide flood that destroyed everything. If indeed, mankind had been here for three million years as evolutionists suggest, then we should have trillions upon trillions of human bones and population covering the planet. The archaeological facts present that mankind simply has not been here for millions of years."
           

10. To how many countries have you traveled?

            "I have had the privilege of speaking in Canada, Peru, Ukraine, Russia, and Japan. As a teenager, we also served in Australia for two weeks. I think that totals six countries."



Eric, thank you so much for doing this.  It was a lot of fun.  Readers, I hope you enjoyed!  Make sure you go check out Eric and his ministry.  Also check out the Genesis movie when it comes out, it looks amazing!!
Thanks for reading.
~Mercy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Paul Greene!

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Andrew Walker

Moments With Mercy - Interview with Jesse Hutch!