Interview With Tim Chaffey

Hey y'all, I know its been a little bit since I've been on here, but I wanted to share a interview I was able to do with Tim Chaffey! Tim is a....

Bible-believing Christian, husband, father, teacher, apologist, author, and cancer survivor.

So without further ado here is the interview.

1. When did you get saved?


Strangely enough, this question is a little bit tricky for me because there has never been a day in my life when I did not believe in Jesus Christ. I was raised by Christian parents who taught me the truth from an early age, and I have always believed the gospel to be true—ever since I can remember, I knew I was a sinner and believed that Jesus died for my sins and rose from the dead. I made a public profession of faith eight days before my eighth birthday, so I often point to that day in response to this question.


2. Tell us a little bit about yourself.


I am happily married to Casey and we have two wonderful kids, a 17-year old daughter and 12-year old son. I have been a pastor and youth pastor, and I taught high school for six years. I have authored about a dozen books, including The Truth Chronicles series, and I have contributed to many more books as both a writer and editor.
I hold an M.A. in Biblical and Theological Studies, an M.Div., specializing in Apologetics, and a Th.M. in Church History and Theology. For the past 2+ years, I have worked as the content manager for the Attractions Division of Answers in Genesis. Much of my time is spent developing the content for the Ark Encounter.
In my spare time, I run my own blog (www.midwestapologetics.org/blog), speak at churches on issues related to apologetics, and I have been one of the leaders in the senior high ministry of my local church.


3. How did you get started in creation science?


I have always been interested in the topic. I can even remember a 7th grade science test question about the age of the earth where I responded with something like, “The textbook says the earth is 4.6 billion years old, but I believe the earth is about 6,000 years old.” To his credit, my teacher did not mark it wrong. I wouldn’t have been prepared to defend my position at that time, but I did believe it.
It wasn’t really until about 1998 or 1999 when I heard Ken Ham speaking on the radio that I really got interested in creation research. I began buying and reading every book on the subject I could find and have continued in this area ever since that time.


4. What is the funniest or strangest thing that has happened to you while speaking?

There are so many to choose from. My funniest moment was probably last year over Memorial Day weekend. I spoke at a church in northern Minnesota, and they wanted me to give my cancer testimony (I battled leukemia in 2006 and have been all clear since September 2006). In that talk, I have a slide where I illustrate bad theology by showing a Far Side cartoon. It’s the one that splits the window between top and bottom. In the top half, an angel says to someone, “Welcome to heaven, here’s your harp.” The bottom window has a devil saying to another person, “Welcome to hell, here’s your accordion.” Obviously this is not what heaven and hell will be like. But as soon as the slide went up, the audience erupted in laughter. I knew it was funny, but it wasn’t that funny. Then I noticed they were all looking at the pastor in the front row who was blushing quite a bit. He said, “I play the accordion.” I found out later that he doesn’t just play the accordion, but he teaches it and has recorded multiple CDs playing the accordion. So I said, “Oh, well just change that to bagpipes.” The audience erupted again and looked at a woman sitting across the aisle from the pastor. She said, “My husband plays the bagpipes.” It was a fun moment, and the people definitely paid close attention through the rest of the talk—probably just waiting for me to mess up again.


5. Where do you call home?

We have lived in the northern Kentucky area near the Creation Museum for nearly five years. Although I still consider Green Bay, Wisconsin to be home. I was raised there and still have many close family members in the area.

6. What is your favorite Bible verse?

Again, there are so many to choose from. I’ve found that I tend to change favorite verses every once in a while. Since writing a book on the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (titled In Defense of Easter), my favorite verses have been John 11:25–26:
“Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?’”

7. Do you have any hobbies?  If so what are they?

Plenty. My wife and I enjoy taking long walks together. I also enjoy cycling and swimming and have completed several triathlons. I enjoy reading, writing, and good theological conversations.

8. What is one of your favorite methods to use when dealing with evolutionists?

My approach varies from person to person. I like to find out where they are at in their thinking and then figure out how to move from that point to the gospel message. For some people, I’ll do my best to respectfully answer their objections while offering some challenges of my own, pointing out the inconsistencies in their beliefs. In some cases, it becomes clear that the person is not really interested in hearing answers to their objections; they just want to attack Christianity. In those cases, I often challenge them to study the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. I have found that most of them are unwilling to touch the subject. Perhaps it is because so many skeptics who set out to disprove the Resurrection have ended up becoming Christians.

9. How long have you worked at the Creation Museum?

I have been a full-time employee of Answers in Genesis for nearly five years.

10. Can you share a little bit about the Ark Encounter with us?

I am so excited to see this project when it is completed. This full-sized Ark is slated to open in the summer of 2016. I have been given the tremendous privilege of developing the content for the Ark Encounter. This means that I have been writing the content that will appear on signs, videos, and other displays throughout the Ark, and I work with our incredibly talented designers in figuring out how to best present this material. It’s been such a blessing to work with this team. It is simply amazing to see them bring some of my ideas to life, and they always turn out better than I had imagined.  

We will have exhibits dealing with Noah, his family, the animals, the Ark, the Flood, the world in which Noah lived, and so much more. We’ll address the challenges offered by skeptics, and show that instead of being some mythological tale or fabricated story, the biblical account of Noah’s Ark is scientifically and historically accurate.
People often ask if we will layout the Ark’s interior to be our best guess at what Noah may have done. Unfortunately, this wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense in our case. We expect to have over 10,000 visitors a day moving through the Ark, so we need to have wide hallways, vending areas, restrooms, and other facilities to accommodate so many people. As mentioned above, we’ll have several exhibits to address common objections and questions about the biblical account. Noah only had 8 people on board the Ark, and he didn’t need to provide facilities and build exhibits for visitors.

As of the day of this interview, the wood for the Ark has just begun arriving at the Ark Encounter property. So within a few weeks, several teams of Amish workers will arrive at the Ark site to begin putting the pieces together. It will be amazing to see them build the Ark.

For more information and regular updates on this project, you can follow the Ark Encounter Facebook page or visit www.ArkEncounter.com.

Tim, thank you so much for doing this! It was a LOT of fun. Readers, I hope you enjoyed!
~Mercy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Paul Greene!

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Andrew Walker

Moments With Mercy - Interview with Jesse Hutch!