Interview with Nancy Rue!

Hey y'all!

I was recently able to do an interview with Nancy Rue, Nancy is a Christian author of MANY books!
First I'd like to tell you a little bit about Nancy Rue...

"Because her name is easy to mistake with that of a certain blonde amateur sleuth in a little blue roadster, Nancy Rue often finds more name recognition than she expects. This is somehow fitting, because it was partly her childhood admiration for Nancy Drew – in the days when she read everything she could get her hands on – that made her dream of becoming a writer.  “I try to live a God-guided life,” says the author: “doing what I was meant to do, what I love to, what allows me to give what I’ve been given. I spend as much of my time teaching, filling my well, hanging out with the people I love, as I do writing, and that has made all the difference."  Nancy travels North America speaking and teaching at schools, churches, home school groups, and for groups of ‘tween girls and their moms. Please contact Nancy if you are interested in more information on booking her for a workshop or event. She lives in Tennessee with her husband, Jim. Their daughter, Marijean, son-in-law, Brian, and four-year-old granddaughter Maeryn, live in nearby Nashville. The Rues’ yellow lab Geneveve and tabby cat King Arthur share Jim and Nancy’s home, and without them writing would be difficult."

And now, here is the interview!

1. Tell us a little bit about you and your family.
Nancy Rue
I’ve been married for almost 42 years to my husband Jim, and I think our marriage vows must have subliminally included “For better or for worse, but not for boring,” because our life together has been anything but! We’ve lived in Virginia, California, Nevada and now Tennessee and together we’ve navigated 6 years in the Navy (him, not me!), gone to college together to earn theater degrees, founded and operated a children’s theater for 5 years, both managed creative careers (he as a project manager for sets for entertainers who tour, as in, currently Garth Brooks), and, of course, raised a daughter. Marijean is now 36, married, and has a delightful four year old daughter who is the light of our lives. She tells new stuffed animals who come on the scene, “You are going to love Nanny and Papa.”

2. When did you get saved?
That’s a hard question to answer because I was raised in the Episcopal Church (and that’s still where I worship) and we didn’t use that particular term. I do know, however, that when I was 12 and preparing for confirmation – which was a pretty rigorous course – I was lying in bed one night, praying as our wonderful young pastor had taught us, and suddenly I just knew. I just knew. I still do.

3. What sparked your interest in writing?
I have to say that spark has always been there, so I consider it a God-thing. I LOVED to read when I was a kid. Just knew how when I was four and was never without a book in my face. One day when I was 10 I put down the Nancy Drew mystery I’d just read for the third time and thought, “I don’t just want to BE Nancy Drew. I want to write books about somebody like her.” I started my first novel at once. Thank goodness it has long since disappeared!

4. Do you just write childrens books? Or do you write adult books too?
I actually do both. Most of my 120+ books have been for girls 8 to 12, both fiction and non-fiction, and the rest have been either for teens (I’ve done 17 novels and 6 or 7 non-fiction book for that age group), New Adults (3 titles for the twenty-somethings), and adults (10 novels and 2 non-fiction books) I write what God seems to be leading me to, and I’m so blessed to have been able to reach out to all ages.

5. What is one of your favorite characters from a book you wrote?
That’s such a hard question because it’s like asking a mom which one of her kids she likes best! I really have loved them all – from the diverse collection of boys in The Christian Heritage Series to Lily, Sophie, Lucy and the three protagonists in the Mean Girl Makeover, to all 17 of my teen main characters, to Sullivan Crisp and Allison Chamberlain. They’ve been such a fun group and they’ve taught me so much.

6. How do you come up with story ideas?
They seem to just happen, you know? I try to be open to them by doing a lot of reading on topics that interest me, thinking about the stories that are hiding in the places I visit, listening to the life stories of people I meet (you can hardly bore me by telling me a story about your life), and journaling. It’s all there. I just have to be the butterfly net.

7. What is your favorite Bible verse?
It comes from the Message rendering of the Bible: John 1:12-13 “:”Whoever did want him, who believed he was who he claimed and would do what he said, He made to be their true selves, their child-of-God selves.” That is the foundation of my entire ministry.

8. What was one of your favorite books growing up?
Nancy and her family.
From about 8 to 10 I adored everything Nancy Drew. At around 11 I got into Trixie Belden who was far more real. Then it was the Anne of Green Gables books. At some point I made a giant leap and fell in love with books like A Separate Peace and The Great Gatsby.

9. Share an interesting or funny story from writing or researching a story.
How much time ya got? So MANY cool things have happened in researching all those books. Some firemen took me into a training tower in full firefighter regalia so I could see what it was like to actually be in a fire as I was writing Healing Stones. I took motorcycle lessons for the Reluctant Prophet series but I dropped out because I was a danger to myself and others. For the Real Life teen novels, I took a surfing lesson, followed a Vanderbilt women’s basketball player into the restroom at a Mexican restaurant and was invited to a practice, and rode through all the back alleys of St. Augustine on the back of my husband’s motorcycle. Maybe my most awesome experience was spending five days on a sheep ranch in Montana when I was writing The Merciful Scar. I got to take care of a lamb who wasn’t doing well – they named her “Little Nancy” -- and helped with another newborn they named “Ruelene.” Those five days had a huge impact not only on the book but on me. I now understand the sheep symbolism in the Bible like never before.

10. What was the inspiration for your young adult Historical fiction series?
My daughter, who was then 14. The publisher at Focus On the Family asked me to come up with some ideas for the 8 to 12 year old audience, for which I’d never written before—I’d only done teens – and she said to think series. Three series. I had two contemporary ones that I really liked and was trying to think of a third when my daughter said I needed to do historical fiction. I put it down out of desperation, and of course that’s what they picked. That resulted in a month-long trip up the Eastern Seaboard with said daughter that summer, researching three of the five historical areas I was writing about. I went back to all of those places as I wrote each six-book set, as well as Chicago and Santa Fe. That was my life for six years – and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Nancy, thank you so much for doing this.  It was a LOT of fun learning more about you!  Readers, I hope you enjoyed!  If you'd like to find out a more about Nancy Rue, go check out her website!

~Mercy


Comments

  1. I loved reading this. I adore Nancy Rue. She is a sweetheart and writes amazing books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love her books! If you'd like you can check out my Facebook page where I will be posting about further interviews!
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moments-With-Mercy/818276944888026?ref=hl
      ~Mercy

      Delete
  2. Nancy Rue is not only one of my favorite authors, she's one of my favorite people. Nancy has encouraged me to be more authentic in my life, my writing and my faith. Thanks for sticking with it, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for doing this interview with my favorite author! It's fun to get to know her a little bit better! ~ J:-)mi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! :) She is also one of my favorites!! And if there is anybody you'd like to see on my blog go ahead and write me and I'll try to get them. If you'd like you can check out my Facebook page where I will be posting about further interviews!
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Moments-With-Mercy/818276944888026?ref=hl
      ~Mercy

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Paul Greene!

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Andrew Walker

Moments With Mercy - Interview with Jesse Hutch!