Moments with Mercy - Interview With Carl Kerby

Hey everybody!

I am so excited!  For my first interview on Moments With Mercy, I am able to feature Carl Kerby!  We have long been fans of Carl Kerby, and it is so great to be sharing about him with you all.  Before we get started, I wanted to take a minute and tell everybody a little bit about Carl and his ministry, Reasons for Hope...


"Kerby’s passion is to proclaim the authority and accuracy of the Bible and to engage the minds and hearts of believers and unbelievers so that they may experience the realities of the Word of God. Whether Carl speaks to youth or adults, large or small crowds, at churches or schools, he has a way of connecting and engaging with everyone. From all ages, all walks of life and wherever they are on their faith journey, Carl reaches people with biblical truths, providing knowledge and reasons why we can trust God and His Word. Carl is a much sought-after speaker, both in the U.S. and abroad. He has spoken in Bermuda, Canada, England, Greece, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Mexico, the Philippines, Tanzania and Wales. As a founding Board Member of Answers in Genesis, Carl served there for more than 15 years before co-founding the apologetics ministry, Reasons for Hope (rforh). Carl has had many roles in his life Carl , (son of a professional wrestler, air-traffic controller at O’Hare International Airport, founding board member and speaker for Answers in Genesis), but his most cherished roles are as a husband to his wife, Masami, a father to his children, Alisa and Carl, Jr., and a grandfather to Trey, Naomi, Mari and James".

"Reasons for Hope, Inc (rforh) is an apologetics ministry with a mission is to equip believers to fulfill the command found in 1 Peter 3:15. …sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear. God has said to His people, “come let us reason together” (Isaiah 1:18). * Reasons for Hope believes and teaches that all reasoning begins with the literal interpretation of Holy Scripture and by being in communion with the one and only True God.Reasons for Hope takes a three-pronged approach to globally communicate its message of the hope found only in Jesus Christ and its mission of equipping, empowering and encouraging believers in their faith: Know it! Live it! Share it! Know it! Growing in knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ by reading and understanding His Word equips and empowers believers in their faith. Live it! Knowing and loving the Lord Jesus Christ fuels a heart to worship and serve Him, and an ability to be a light and a testimony to His saving grace. Share it! The joy of our salvation is meant to be shared. Jesus commands us to preach the gospel (Mark 16:15), the apostle Peter calls us to be ready always to share answers (1 Peter 3:15) and the apostle Paul tells us to boldly proclaim the gospel of saving grace (Ephesians 6:19)".

And now for the interview...
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your family.
I’m married to Masami and we’ve been together for 32 years.  We met in Japan when I was stationed there in the Air Force.  We have two children, Alisa and Carl Jr..  Both of whom were born in Japan.  They are now married and each have two children.  Alisa and Bobby have Mari and James.  Carl Jr. and Tish have Trey and Naomi.


2. How did you get started in Creation Science?
My first experience with “Creation Science” was in the cockpit of a Delta aircraft flying to Portland, Oregon.  I was on my way to see my father who lived in that area at the time.  Because of my job at the time I could fly in the cockpit for training purposes.  I was witnessing to the two pilots only to find out that they were both Christians.  To make a long story short, the co-pilot started talking about “evolution” and I answered him how I’d been trained by my Sunday School teacher at the time.  I told him that if you take evolution and put it into the Bible there weren’t any problems.  This was the process that God used and directed to get everything!  He very kindly corrected me by pulling the Bible out and going through the contradictions between the Biblical historical account and the evolutionary account.  I was very intrigued.  Even though I’d been raised around the church I’d never seen anyone use the Bible as an authority to answer questions before.  That experience around March 1988 is what started my interest in the whole topic.  I’ve been involved to varying degrees ever since. 
3. When did you start Reasons For Hope?
Reasons for Hope officially started on January 8, 2011. 
4. When did you get saved?
I received the Lord on May 15, 1987 at a Lowell Lundstrom Crusade in Salt Lake City that was held at the University of Utah’s Huntsman Center Arena. 
5. What is something most people don't know about you?  
That I am NOT an outgoing person!  I really struggle with speaking with strangers.  I’ve had to let the Lord take that and push me out of my comfort zone.  I still struggle with it. 
6. What is your favorite food?
FREE!  If somebody is buying, I’m eating.  I really like a lot of different types of food though.  One of the blessings is that my wife is able to cook dishes from every place that we’ve been.  We eat Asian every day, but like German, Italian, Korean etc.  I love food.  It’s something that I have to be careful with because it is a weakness! 
7. Do you have any Hobbies?  If so what are they?
I like to fish, even though I don’t get to do it very often.  I love creating my presentations.  When I work with images and put them together to communicate a message it’s a blast.  When I see someone light up or understand something for the first time that really excites me.  Even though it’s technically my “job”, I love it so much I can’t call it work! 
8. Where do you call home?Wherever my family is!!  Honestly, I can live anywhere as long as my family is close.  We currently live in the Northern Kentucky area.  I was born in Maryland, graduated high school in Lexington, Virginia and have lived all over in between.
9. What is the strangest food you've ever eaten?Raw horse meat!  It’s a long story, you don’t want to know. 
10. What is your favorite Bible verse?Isaiah 41:10-13 – I almost always sign with this verse.  The image that I have is that God hasn’t left us here alone.  As a matter of fact, He reaches down with His right hand and holds on to us when we’re falling.  That verse means a lot to me!


I hope you enjoyed the interview as much as I did!  I really appreciate Carl Kerby and his ministry.  We have learned a lot from him over the years through DVDs, presentations, etc.  Just this past year he was speaking near us, so we were able to hear him speak (the picture above is of three of my sisters with him)!  If you're interested in hearing Carl, check out his website and see when he'll be near you.

Oh, and if there is anyone else that you'd like to see interviewed, just leave a comment or send me a message!!

~Mercy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Paul Greene!

Moments With Mercy - Interview With Andrew Walker

Moments With Mercy - Interview with Jesse Hutch!